Note well...




the Dalton Highway

For those readers who are not familiar with the Dalton Hiway, you may read about it at the below link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Highway

Abiut 250 miles up the Dalton, a dirt and gravel road of 500 miles which ends one mile from the Arctic  Ocean, is the famous Atigun Pass, which you can read about at the below link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atigun_Pass

There are only two roads in North America that cross the Arctic Circle, the Dalton in Alaska and the also-500-mile dirt and gravel Dempster in Canada's Yukon and Northwest Territories.  The Dempster ends in the town of Inuvik, 70 miles from the Arctic Ocean, but an extension of the road to the Arctic Ocean will be completed next year.

I drove the Dalton to the end with Sonntag in 2000 and again in 2001 wit Leben and Erde when I went to scatter Sonntag's and Kessie's ashes at the sight depicted in the National Geographic of Sonntag and me going into the tent in a snowstorm in August.  I also drove back to the Arctic Circle with Leben and Erde in 2013.

I drove the Dempster to the end also in 2001 with Leben and Erde, and plan to return when the final extension is completed.

Tomorrow night, we hope to camp at the Arctic Circle.  Snow is forecast. Our goal after that over the next several days is to drive to that site above Antigun Pass where I scattered Sonntag's and Kessie's ashes one year to the day of the NG photo.


Featured piece in the January 2002 and May 2010 NG cover stories.


Ed and Donner, from on the road
P.S...I apologize and take full responsibility for all typos, errors and ambiguities in this message.  I do not have time to edit or even proof my messages.  Please do the best you can to interpret what I wrote.

No comments: