Note well...




Ellyn Deirdre Mulrenin, 1949-2016

12/12/16. I just learned today that my beloved younger sister Ellyn died suddenly at her home. She was 67.  Ellyn was the first person I called after I returned from my recent trip because she was always concerned about the trips I took and more concerned about “the pooch,” as she affectionately called all my dogs.  During my last few days in Salina, Ellyn sent me a number of emails offering specific advice on what I should do, most of which I took because they were good suggestions. I just learned today that at the same time she was fiercely emailing other family members and friends inquiring about how they all could help me.  On my trip in 2013, when I did not post an entry on my blog for several days, Ellyn, without knowing that my silence was because I did not have internet or time to make a posting, contacted the Missing Adults group and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to report me missing.  I was not even aware in advance  of her concern during this or prior trips, which is the kind of person she was, always thinking of others without wanting to receive any credit or attention herself. 
Ellyn never returned my call the night I returned home, and all indications are that she died less than 24 hours after Donner and I returned home.  But I am confident that she listened to my message or read my blog entry for that night because she read every line I wrote.  So I am happy knowing that that she died knowing that I did return home safely from that fated trip and died without worrying about anyone but herself.  And as for this trip, what I now will remember most about it is that I lost my dear, beloved sister at its end. How sad that is for me.

I will not be making any more postings for this trip as my heart is too heavy and nothing I write could possibly be as important as my and my siblings’ loss of our dear, dear sister.  In the future, if I write anything more substantial about any or all of my trips, I will dedicate that writing to Ellyn. I just wish that I had been able to tell her how much value she added not only to my trips, but to my life.

Thank you all for reading this blog. Knowing that people were interested in what Donner and I were doing added value to what we did. I hope it added some value to your life.

ED

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ellyn was indeed a very special person. i will always miss her. kathleen

Unknown said...

Sad to hear that ed, sorry for your loss. (Dustin Jones, from the ferry)