Note well...




Day 116, Friday, December 2,....the return, REVISED

Day 116, Friday, December 2,....the return, REVISED...REVERSE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

As of 5:53 p.m.

Comment...
If all goes well, and it is not seeming to play out that way on this trip, even today, as you will see in today's timeline, tomorrow at this time this 117-day journey will come to an end of sorts, and Donner and i will be home.  I say of sorts because it will not end until all my gear i sent separately is home, and the Defender home and on the road again. What's odd, or maybe not,  is that i feel no joy or relief about this.  If i feel anything it is a certain sadness that i am leaving my captor, Salina,  only "certain" because this is not my home, i am limited to what i can do and where i can go, and the weather. 

Where my feelings are showing up is for the Defender. There was a deep sadness that i was leaving it 2100 miles behind, at least for several weeks, although i am convinced my decision to do so  is a sound one. I trust Intercity to do the job they promised to do, and i trust MaiThi to serve as my agent quite well. Nevertheless, i never really knew how much a an animate personality i attributed to the Defender until today. My last gesture before driving off was to walk up to it, say a few words, and then pat it softly, something i had never done before to it. This was the first time i had ever left it behind anywhere except a garage. And that magnificent machine has been through so much with me and five of my six dogs, not to mention others who knew me, some of whom never knew me without the Defender. But my sadness did not last long once i reminded myself that it will be on the road again.

Here's a reverse chronology for my penultimate day on the road this trip...

4:00 p.m.checked into pet-friendly La Quinta hotel. (See photo posted separately.) Quite a nice setup. Hence-force and forevermore, they will be my hotel of choice on the road with Donner. As far as i am concerned, Days Inn can pound sound.

2:30 pulled into Delta Cargo just to check things out for tomorrow morning. I am glad did. As it turns out, the height of the kennel is not an issue at all, but the whole Pet Lodge kennel itself is because it has two doors. The former schoolmarm never told me thst. Sorry, not permitted, I was told today. False advertising on Pet Lodge's part saying it meets IATA standards, whoever they are. What do i do? i asked the Delta Cargo guy. It just so happens, Delta sells qualifying kennels for up to $270.  They got me on this one. Of course, now what do i do with my now-useless huge $180 kennel?  After i left, i drove to the local humane society nearby and donated it.  The good news about all this is that it looks as if we will be flying home tomorrow after all, although if it came to our having to drive home, no big deal.

1:00 stopped for break and gas in Provo. Crime followers will recall the story of Gary "Let's do it"  Gilmore who slaughtered two innocent people in this town in across station and then motel office. In 1976

12:45 Rocky Mountains come into view... wow.....impressive...uplifting.

11:20 on the road to Salt Lake City. Lots of wows as we drove thru this spectacular landscape, but it did not feel the same in something other than the Defender.

11:15 final goodbyes to Defender (see below photo)

11:10 said final goodbyes to MaiThi and her husband Loyd. My only comment to them behind thanking them for their spectacular hospitality was, What good people you are, and i meant it.

11:00 trip to Post Office to send two packages home, including the several books i never quite had a chance to finish.

9:30 back to motel, final packing

8:00 a.m Stacy from Enterprise Car Rental picks us up to take us to Richfield to rent car for ride to airport 144 miles away or to DC if former schoolmarm sows up at Delta Cargo tomorrow. Five stars go to Evan and Stacy at Enterprise for their outstanding service. From now on, it's only Enterprise car rentals for me.


Photo...the Defender left behind, but only temporarily.


Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: