Note well...




Day 24, Thursday, Sept 1, On the Road to Alberta

Brief missive from the road at a rest stop in a small community in Saskatchewan (SK).  

Camped last night at the wonderful oasis in the prairie, Buffalo Pound near Moose Jaw SK. I would spend my weekends there except I don't have weekends and it is 4000 miles from homeOnly complaint was the road to the poor man's sites (sans service, as they say in Quebec) was terrible.  I thought I was on the road to Hades and the River Styx. since it was dark, I abandoned my search for my tent site and asked the attendant for a site avec service. Wonderful oasis in itself.  The road, btw, ranks number three in the worst roads I have driven in North America, and I have driven all of them. The worst ever was in Vladivostok. 

Defender started beautifully this morning. So, it had to be the cold or the regular gas since the tanks was full with 91 octane and weather pleasant. In any event, I'm glad I made up a day back in Manitoba because Scott at Land Rover Calgary agreed to take the Defender in for servicing tomorrow (400 miles away) , and to install the broken toe rod and find out why the red check engine light is on.  Great timing since all garages are closed for the Labor Day weekend and the next Land Rover outlet is 4000 miles away. I will retrieve the tie rod at the Calgary Airport in the morning, thanks to Dan at the Thunder Bay FedEx center.

Donner is enjoying his freedom off leash enormously.  I had no idea at all that he was as well trained as he is.  I guess He knows where his next salmon or hamburger meal is coming from.

More later, time permitting.  Also, photos.  But now, the road beckons.

Ed

Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: