Note well...




Day 33, Saturday, September 10, Top Of the World Hiway connecting Dawson City with Alaska


A 150-mile dirt and gravel road with very steep drop offs and no guard rails.  What a spectacular Hiway, which rides the crest of one mountain after another, giving you vistas far in the distance. Wow. And to think the best is yet to come.

Three years ago, driving on this magnificent dirt and gravel Highway, one of the wheels on Leben's wheelchair, which was transported hanging from my roof rack ladder in the rear, fell off without my knowing it. I discovered that only when I sopped for a break to walk my dogs. I drove all the way back to Dawson City, ordered a new one FedExed to me in Fairbanks, and then went looking for a replacement in this small town of 2000 souls.  In the small hardware store, I saw a wheel barrel for sale, bought it,  removed the wheel, and had the local NAPA shop affix it  to Leben's wheelchair, and it worked, until we got to Fairbanks and retrieved the new wheel at Fed Ex, that is.  As I have often said, there's a solution for every problem worth solving.




Ed and Donner, from on the road
P.S...I apologize and take full responsibility for all typos, errors and ambiguities in this message.  I do not have time to edit or even proof my messages.  Please do the best you can to interpret what I wrote.

No comments: