Note well...




Day 34, Sunday, September 11, morning at lovely Moon Lake State Park on the ALCAN, 6992 miles so far

Well, we are getting close. Only three more hours to drive before we reach our destination of Fairbanks, where we will launch our mini-expeditions to the Arctic and then Denali.  As good timing would have it, I have zero slack time left to do all of what I came here to do.   I have to give myself credit if no one else will. Then again, I am sure you all are or you would not be reading this blog. :)

As it turns out, we will have company on the Dalton and Denali adventures after all.  Stephanie, the young woman from Germany we met at a rest stop in Jasper National Park, asked to come along for these two adventures, so Donner gets relegated to his rear bed, which he uses most of the time anyway.  Stephanie is flying in from Vermont tonight and we will head up the Dalton tomorrow.  If Atigun pass is not snowed in, we hope to make it to Sonntag's and my campsite that was featured in the National Geographic, the scene of Sonntag and me going into the tent in the snow, where one year later I returned to scatter Sonntag's and Kessie's ashes. It's 150 miles south of the Arctic Ocean on the 68th parallel. Brrrr. Donner is probably going to miss that warm backyard in LA.

Gotta go.  The road beckons.  The Defender is fired up, Donner is snuggled in his front seat bed, headphones are on, and I am about to spin North to Alaska one last time and follow the call of the road, way up north.

Mush.



Ed and Donner, from on the road
P.S...I apologize and take full responsibility for all typos, errors and ambiguities in this message.  I do not have time to edit or even proof my messages.  Please do the best you can to interpret what I wrote.

No comments: