Note well...




Day 27, Sunday, September 4, Jasper to Pruden Lake BC

We got a late start on the road today, probably because I am in no rush to get anywhere, and I enjoy chatting with the people, fellow travelers as well as locals, I meet along the way, every day.

Our visit to Jasper (see photo below) was short, certainly because the road beckoned, but also because the streets were crowded and it was making Donner anxious looking every which way for new dogs.  We did make one brief stop at Scoops and Loops, a favorite spot for Leben and Erde too. (See next photo).

Although I planned to head for Fort Fraser tonight, as I came to Pruden Lake Provincial Park, I slammed on the breaks and decided to try it again, as my experience there in 2013 was all in the dark and marred by loud neighbors.  It has been just the opposite this year, heightened by the gracious hospitality of the camp staff members, Taylor and Gary.  Taylor persuaded me to have a fire tonight, my first fire on this trip, and I'm thrilled she did. As soon as dark fell, I got a good fire going, pulled out my iPad, and as I scrolled through my Dogs album, I listened for the first time in a long time the music I played as both Leben and Erde died, Arvo Part's Fir Alina. Although my mind was at first flooded with sadness, as I watch the photos of Montag, Sonntag, Kessie, Leben, Erde and even Donner glide by, the joy I experienced from those six magnificent creatures swamped the sadness I felt that five of them are gone, part of my past, but part of me. What joy those dogs were, are with Donner.

While I sat by the fire flooded with joy, my mood was interrupted by Donner's reacting to a passerby dog, as he is wont to do.  I could not get angry with him, however.  God only knows what that dog went through in those Los Angeles back yards for his first four years of life. I hope that somehow I can make it up to him. I do know this.  He has many, many admirers. I don't think anyone passes by us without my hearing some positive comment about him.  Those several owners who had Donner before I came along missed out on the chance to own one great dog.  All he needed was some training, affection and the chance to be a dog. And on top of the joy I would get from any dog, that joy is multiplied several fold knowing what I saved him from.

Tomorrow we head for a small roadside camp at Seely Lake near Kitwanga BC, where at the intersection of hiways 16 and 37 at the North to Alaska sign, we will follow the sign and head north.  We are at parallel 50 now, and our goal is parallel 68, a long way off.

I will have very little internet until we get to Fairbanks, hopefully in six days, so my postings will be brief and sent off as we fly by the small towns along the way.





Ed and Donner, from on the road
P.S...I apologize and take full responsibility for all typos, errors and ambiguities in this message.  I do not have time to edit or even proof my messages.  Please do the best you can to interpret what I wrote.

No comments: