Note well...




SUMMER; Day 81, Friday, October 28, 7:30 p.m., Whitehorse


As you saw from my earlier posting, the Defender is up and running again. The check engine light is still on, but Travis told me that is due to the catalytic converter, which is rattling and in need of replacement.  That's probably why the light came on in the first place and not because the engine was failing.

One of the joys of my frequent visits to John's Auto Repair over the last five weeks was visiting with the two "resident" dogs, Summer (see photo), Matt's dog, and Al, Travis' dog, two absolutely wonderful, beautiful, well behaved dogs.  All of the joy I experienced just moments before i sent my 4:11 message when i heard the Defender turn over for the first time in almost five weeks was completely shattered no more than five minutes later when Matt received a phone call from his vet telling him that the tumor recently removed from  Summer's right shoulder was cancerous. My heart sank. While they have a number of vets here in Whitehorse, the closest oncology treatment center is in Vancouver, more than 900 mikes away. I assured Matt that everything will be okay once he gets all the information he needs to know what his options are, and he will have options.

 I am now dedicating this journey and blog to Summer, too, wishing her a speedy recovery and long life. What an absolutely sweet dog she is.  I had just been telling Matt that minutes before he got that dreaded call. Summer is about Donner's age and was a rescue herself when Matt adopted her when she was two and a half. 

NOTE: Summer died just three weeks after I posted the above about her.  It broke my heart to learn that news. She was the consummate dog. You can read my In Memoriam about Summer by clicking here.




Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: