Note well...




Day 70 (22), Monday, October 17, Whitehorse Yukon

Day 70 (22), Monday, October 17, Whitehorse Yukon

It snowed all day yesterday, about six inches. More snow expected this week as temperatures drop to 12 later in the week.

I received word this morning that the truck with my engine on it is still disabled in Idaho Falls. They flew parts in over the weekend. If the parts fix the problem this morning, the truck will arrive in Edmonton tomorrow morning, just in time to be loaded on the Pacific Northwest truck, which will arrive in Whitehorse Thursday morning, just in time for Travis to spend the two days he needs to install the engine just in time for me to make the October 24 ferry.  Too many just in times.

If the engine will not arrive by Thursday morning, I would have to take the October 31st-November 4th ferry, which I really cannot do. As a fallback, then, I would consider  diverting the engine from Edmonton to the garage in Seattle, have the Defender towed to and onto the ferry in Skagway, and have it towed off the ferry on October 28 in Seattle to the garage in Seattle and wait for the engine to be installed there, probably by November 2nd.

I will wait for news about the truck tomorrow before I make my decision. Although the towing option gets me on the road two days earlier that waiting in Whitehorse an extra week, there are other advantages to that option, but the obvious major disadvantages.

I considered the towing option before I made my decision to have the engine shipped here, but was assured by the promised UPS delivery schedule but also because the earlier ferries were sold out.

I also considered the towing option at the time of the breakdown, but I had been told erroneously by a ferry rep thst there were no more ferries to Washington state. The ferry I was booked on was to Prince Rupert in Canada for this reason.

Time will tell. I just need good information.





Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: