Note well...




Day 82, Saturday, October 29, Whitehorse - Letter to the Editor, Yukon News

Editor
Yukon News
Whitehorse, Yukon

Dear Editor:

On September 24, my vehicle's engine suddenly failed on the Alaska-Canada Highway 60 kilometers north of Destruction Bay at the very start of my long return trip home to Washington, DC, from Alaska and the Yukon, on a road camping journey across North America of more than 20,000 kilometers. Two days later we were towed to Whitehorse and to the justifiably highly regarded John's Auto Repair for a new engine. After the wonderful Robert Service and Wolf Creek campgrounds closed, we settled into the cozy Mountain Ridge Motel.

i just today retrieved my vehicle from John's Auto Repair and will resume my long journey home on Monday after an unplanned but pleasant 33-day stay in your great city.

Five times before on earlier trips, because of my schedules, i had passed through Whitehorse, stopping only long enough for gas, coffee and treats for my dogs. This time, however, over five weeks, i got to know Whitehorse's most valuable resource, its people, their hospitality, generosity, and friendliness.

When those below the 60th parallel talk of the Yukon, they refer to it as some far off, remote place, almost off the map, or even the planet. But let me tell you something:  Whitehorse, and with it the Yukon, from now on will be in the center of my map.  Everything else will be remote.

I would exhaust my word-quota for this letter quickly if i were to even start to list all the people in Whitehorse who made what could have been a problematic stay into a pleasant one, but they all know who they are. My sincere thanks to everyone for your splendid hospitality, and to those who make this city great. Keep up the good work.

 Ed Mulrenin
Washington, D.C.


Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: