Note well...




Day 58, Thursday, October 6th, Wolf Creek Campground

Day 58, Thursday, October 6th, Wolf Creek Campground, Whitehorse, Yukon

I cannot believe my good fortune...I have 78% battery left on my iPad. More on how I did this, below.

Some random notes about today.

Had to get gas again today. I am using about $30 or more worth of gas just to charge my batteries and give me a refuge in the morning from the cold.  I need to factor this into my decision on whether to bite  
the bullet and get a place indoors for the next two weeks.

- also, found a barber to give me a haircut.  Mike gave me a great haircut for $20, what I pay at home.  I gave him a $10 tip, uncharacteristic of me, and I could see the joy on his face.  He earned it as it was my first haircut in more than two months, the longest I ever went without one since I was three.

- also visited the Whitehorse information center to use their wifi and recharge my iPad and recharger.  That's where I worked on Episode 3 of the ALCAN Diary.  I will visit it every day for an hour to do the same as long as I am tenting.  I felt terrible leaving Donner in the rental car as I never, never leave my dogs on these trips to do something on my own except errands, but I had to make a trade off. He is amply rewarded, however, with at least maybe eight walks a day, whereas at home he gets three.  But being a dog, he thinks he is entitled to whatever he gets and more. As for my battery recharging, this one hour each day at the center will save me some gas money, which will most likely go into Donner's food fund.

- Being optimistic, I called the Alaska Ferry today and made a reservation on the October 24 ferry from Skagway to Bellingham Washington for me, Donner and the Defender. If the engine arrives on the 14th, and is installed between the 17th and 21st, I will have ample time to make it to the ferry from Skagway, 120 miles away, at 2;45 pm on the 24th.  I dislike writing these optimistic plans down because it might jinx them, but I have to be optimistic. But I also learned for the first time that there is a ferry once a week I can get, although each week means not only additional living expenses but getting closer into winter, which will be here in three weeks, although by Washington DC standards, we are in it now.  Unfortunately, I also learned that the road to Skagway closes each year when the snows come to stay because of threats of avalanches, meaning I would have to double my journey to catch the ferry at Haines.

I am determined to take the ferry to Bellingham for several reasons. First, I do not wish to drive to Vancouver (Seattle) on the ALCAN etc. because of the short days (I avoid driving at night as much as I can) and snowy road conditions, I want to start my trip home from Seattle and head south to Lake Tahoe (and Donner Pass at Truckee CA) to take the interstate all the way to my front door, and I want to be in the US quickly in as few miles as possible for reasons that you might be able to figure out now.  Also, I am quite familiar with that route and the time for familiarity has arrived.

- I was told today that the gate to my camp will close tomorrow, which means if I stay here longer, which they said is okay, I will have to park my rental car about 120 feet away and lug everything but the tent back and forth twice a day. That may not sound like such a chore, but in below freezing temperatures in the morning it is, especially since I welcome an occasional few minutes in a warm car when I am going through the two-hour morning routine.  I may give up making Donner's breakfast (cooked rice and chicken) and make it for him for lunch somewhere in town at a picnic grounds in warmer weather. But I will factor this and other things into my decision on getting a room somewhere and let my better judgment trump my pride. On all my eight road trips, I have never had to stay in a motel or hotel, but now might be the time to swallow my pride and let common sense rule. I have been tenting for 11 days here and am the last tenter in the Yukon, so I have nothing to be embarrassed about. I only need to find someplace that will take dogs, among other things.

- I contacted Brad at Atlantic British today and discussed with him the issue of my mass air flow sensor.  Even though another replacement may not be needed, I cannot take the chance that after my engine is installed the Defender will not operate because of this small part, which the mechanic in Fairbanks told me was broken. I will order it and two oxygen sensors tomorrow for delivery before my engine arrives. If I were home, my decision would be otherwise, but when I am like 6000 miles away from home with winter knocking at my tent door, I have little choice.

Tonight, when I returned to camp, I came across and talked with David Bonnefoy and his wife, two beautiful little girls, and well-behaved young son picnicking in 37 degree weather. He was enjoying the last of summer, he said. Summer?  37 degrees F?  What is winter like, I wondered?  In DC you never see anyone picnicking below 70 degrees. (You will see me, however.) I awarded all three kids On the Road patches for being hardy souls, and gave David a 4th patch for their 9-year old daughter who was not there to ward off any intra-family rivalries. The older of the two girls there was the first person to ask me if the little dog house on my patch was my home.  Yes it is. Good for her. Since they were roasting marshmallows, I gave them my remaining supply of Graham crackers and chocolate to make s'mores. They were elated. David was the person who told me about the closing of the Skagway road, reinforcing my belief that if i talk with anyone, I can always learn useful information.

It was cold today. overcast and high of 37, meaning tonight will be cold. I am prepared, however. Last night I was actually sweating I was so warm in my double sleeping bag. I hope Donner was warm too in his own fur coat, his winter jacket, and two blankets.

Incidentally, I have been returning to camp where I leave only my tent by 6 pm to run through my one hour routine before going into the tent by 7pm just after the sun sets. I do this to get inside before dark, but also to warm the tent some for when I retire about 9pm, so I can get a long night's sleep before getting up at 7, and hour before usable daylight appears. 

I am sure any readers of this blog have noticed that these daily postings have taken on a different tone recently.  No more words about the road, the views, the new camps every night, etc. However, what I am going through and writing about is actually what these trips are all about too...dealing with the unexpected  as best I can. I do not wish for these things to happen, but in order for me to experience all the great things about these trips --- eg the Dalton and Denali parts this year --- I have to expect things like this and be prepared to deal with them as best and smartly as I can. It is the risk I knew I had to take.To be sure, I am in a crisis situation right now, especially with the weather turning. But if I look at it as a crisis, it will hinder me. It's just another pesky problem that life throws at us that needs a solution. Fortunately, I believe there is a solution for every problem and I do not like to give up before I find it, but our safety comes first. Also, I am fortunate that  I have Travis and his crew at John's Auto Repair, John Kinter my mechanic at home, Brad Ferri at Atlantic British, Scott at Rovers North, Mike Boyd my home base commander,so to speak, Shane and Dale at the FedEx office in Whitehorse, Jacqueline at the vets, all the good people in Whitehorse with whom I speak,etc etc etc to advise my on what I need to know to get through with this. So when all of Canada celebrates their Thanksgiving on Monday, wherever I may be, I will also celebrate with them for my own reasons.

I have a busy day tomorrow on all the chores involved with this situation I am in, so I had better get into my sleeping bag.  And I have 62% battery left on my iPad. Amazing. Wow, what a lucky guy I am.

Ed and Donner from cold Wolf Creep Campground in Whitehorse, Yukon.



 




Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: