Note well...




Day 66, Thursday, October 13, Whitehorse, Yukon

Day 66, Thursday, October 13, Whitehorse, Yukon, day 19 of ALCAN a Diary

Today was the day UPS promised to deliver my new engine.  As of this morning, it was still sitting in Salt Lake City. The best estimate for its arrival in Whitehorse is now next Thursday. Brad, at Atlantic British, who has been extremely helpful with this, told me that UPS would be happy to expedite delivery by three days for $3040 or one day for $900. if they would allow me to change the shipping address while the engine is in Edmonton tomorrow, Air North would fly it up here tomorrow night $450

 I have now to return to tinkering with Plan A, which I optimistically thought was locked in, driving the Defender onto the ferry and continue my inward bound journey. I am also filling in the details on Plan B, actually, B1, B2 and B3, but I will not bore you with the details of each.

As for plan A, my hope is still to make the Oct 24 ferry from Skagway.  But to do so, I need to cut three days off the installation period and delivery date. I will try.

Yesterday, I was asked to leave the Game Center's weight room by the attendant because I was in my socks.  The sign at the door only says, No outdoor footwear allowed. A little confusing since I thought footwear was made for outdoors. I think they meant shoes and boots, but I did not want to argue the fine points or that the sign does not prohibit socks. I tried to explain to the attendant my situation, but it brought me no relief or an exception.  So I returned to the idled Defender today to retrieve my Nike running shoes and spent an hour cleaning off the Dalton mud so I can say tomorrow that these are my indoor workout shoes. I will not let this incident affect my high impression of the people of Whitehirse since you find people who do not know what justified exceptions means.

To make up for this,Maria at the front desk gave me a visitors pass today, joining her colleagues Barbara and Chris in their consummate hospitality. She was awarded a coveted On the Road patch for her understanding.

During my visit to John's Auto Repair today, I compared the two mass air flow sensors I ordered, one from England and one from the US.  Good thing I ordered two because there is a slight difference between them.

I spent some time on the phone today with the Alaska Ferry staff on schedules, ports and the like. Because of bad information I got from one agent three weeks ago, which has cost me a lot of money and time, I actually call three different agents now and take the best two answers if they match. One cannot be too careful on these things.

On the way back from John's Auto today, I stopped by gated Wolf Creek camp to have dinner with Donner outside in the wonderful weather we are still having. I am anxious to get back on the road to resume my tenting, but I fear all the campgrounds south will be closed too. I consider what we are doing now camping, of sorts, but what it really is doing is getting me out of my comfort zone, one of the many purposes or benefits of these trips.

I stepped outside tonight for a walk with Donner into the crisp, cold, fresh Yukon air and was immediately struck by the hauntingly beautiful scene of the full moon high right in the middle of the nearby valley cradled by two snow peaked mountains, with the silhouettes of a few tree tops in the boreal forest visible below. That scene alone was enough to dismiss any inchoate thoughts of woe from entering my mind.

At the visitors center, Donner and I met a charming young woman named Claire from England who has been touring the US and Canada for 15 months. She has seen more of the US than most Americans. How come all the young  people I meet up here doing a similar journey are all from Europe and none from the US? Claire was awarded a coveted On the Road patch for her mission of goodwill.

Donner's sleeping accommodations were upgraded last night to half of my tiny bed. He is so happy. "I deserve this," I am sure he us thinking.  "I really am a good dog." He really is.

No comments: