Note well...




Day 64, Tuesday, October 11, Whitehorse, Yukon

Day 64,  Tuesday, October 11, Whitehorse, Yukon, Mountain Ridge Motel

Another absolutely glorious day weather-wise in the Yukon. I cannot believe my good fortune, in this regard anyway.  Clear, blue sky, sun shining brightly (too brightly, in fact), temperature in 40s,freezing temperatures at night to cleanse the soul. Every day since I arrived. Those freezing temperatures at night were ones of  the main reasons I had to put tenting on hold for a bit....all my water and canned foods were getting frozen by morning.

Had another little blip on the radar screen this morning. After I loaded Donner into the car, I went back inside my motel room and shut the
 door tight. When I went to go out, I could not open the door. I was locked in. No one was nearby to hear me ask someone to smash the door in from outside. After about 15 minutes I managed to figure out the problem and get the door open. Fortunately, there is a workable window in the room I could use in an emergency, but it would be nice to have a door to use as an exit. I solved the problem permanently after this incident. So I am thrilled it happened during some idle time and not during an emergency.

I am amazed at how relaxed I now feel about my layover here.  I don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security about Plan A, so I will out more thought into Plan B.

I spent the day trying out my new schedule, and it worked quite well. Donner is becoming a fixture at the Visitors Center. Just wait till another dog shows up there, though. He will quickly become canis non gratis and an outcast, just like I had to get out if Dawson City up the road fast a month ago.

Speaking of a month ago, I cannot believe it has been a whole month since that wonderful adventure of ours on the Dalton and in Denali started. Time flies.

I also learned today  that the wifi at Tim Horton's and Starbucks works in the parking spaces right outside, so I do not have to leave Donner for long . Whenever I leave him for an errand, I can see him in the car sitting up looking in the direction I left from, sometimes for almost an hour at the Game Center. He does not wanted to be abandoned for a third time. He will not be, I can assure you.

It's 8 pm. Time for another walk with Donner in the cold, dark Yukon.

Photos tomorrow when I get wifi.

Oh, ATT sent me a text message last night telling me that my international calls exceed $230 and so if I did not call them right away they will disrupt my service. How many of my readers think I will be hanging on to ATT after I get back home?  The greedy corporate state is soulless. 





Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: