Note well...




Day 83, Sunday, Oct 30, Whitehorse, day 35

Day 83, Sunday, Oct 30, Whitehorse, day 35

It is hard to believe that this ALCAN saga is coming to an end tomorrow after five weeks. That night on the Alaska Highway five weeks ago seems like so long ago. Since then, i worked myself into a routine that took me almost two days to break, probably because part of me does not want to. But getting out of my comfort zone is one of the main purposes of my trips, so i have to accept that that also applies here and move on.  And so we will break camp at 8:30 tomorrow, stop off at John's Auto Repair for a last minute check up and some final goodbyes, and then move on. Skagway is about four hours away, so we have plenty of time to catch the 8:30 p.m. ferry, and the weather looks promising.

I wanted to spend one last time with Defender in the wonderful Whitehorse parks today, but loading the Defender, a lovely lunch at Aileen's, and other such tasks consumed most of the final day here.  I did treat Donner to a huge strawberry-apple pie for his birthday, however. Not purposefully, mind you. You see, i bought the pie for a neighbor and when i ran a fast errand, the pie was gone when i got back to the Defender. Stefanie will scold me for that as she knows that's not the first time he did something like that. I held off scolding him tonight because it really was a special day for the two if us. The joy i felt when i drove out of Carson Animal Shelter one year ago with Thunder revised me today in a way i did not expect. Nevertheless, that's the last pie of any sort he will ever see.

I have not given much serious thought to the trip back east, which we will take one day at a time. Unfortunately, rain is forecast for our first two days in the lower 48,but we will manage.

More tomorrow.





Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: