Note well...




Day 68, Saturday, October 15, Whitehorse Yukon

Day 68, Saturday, October 15, Whitehorse Yukon still (21 days into ALCAN Incident)

I spent several hours today trying to learn about the disabled Canada Cartage truck with my engine on it. Seems that no one knows any more details other than what is on the UPS website, breakdown Thursday at 5:44 p.m..  They don't even know where the truck is. Only thing they know is that it is not moving. Would someone please look at his/her calendar and confirm for me that it is 2016 and not 1916? What is even more shocking is that UPS retained Canada Cartage and it is doing absolutely nothing to rectify this problem even though it is occurring on US soil and they know the damages I am incurring. Customer be damned when it comes to saving money. But I still have three hours before I lose all hope for a timely delivery.  The Canada Cartage agent in Edmonton did admit that it will be hard to get the vehicle repaired over a weekend, even though the breakdown occurred on a Thursday. So I am probably looking at a delivery date of next Friday or even the following Monday. As if I needed this on top of everything else. And just as the weather is turning for the worse up here and the city here is putting up its Chrustmas decorations.

Also spent some time fleshing out the details of some backup plans.  I cannot miss that October 24,ferry because the engine arrives late or, what appears to be going to happen, it does not arrive at all.

Visited the Game Center today with my cleaned up Nikes on my feet. I wasn't evicted today even though I wear them outside.

Also had lunch with Donner in the park this afternoon in 26 degree weather, and it was quite comfortable.  I haven't experienced any winds here yet, which would certainly make things unpleasant. It was actually Donner's second lunch. When i went shopping for our dinner, he foraged around the car, even though he was tied down, and found my buried Raisin Bran muffin for tomorrow morning.  As Stefanie would tell you, this is not the first time he has done that, so it is my own fault.  But I ate some of his cottage cheese anyway either as an act of behavior modification or revenge, or both, although I am the one needing behavior modification.

I am reading Dan Brown's book The Lost Symbol, that Stefanie gave me, although I don't read fiction usually.  It is fast moving. But I did not need the reminders of DC. Speaking of Stefanie, she wrote me that she made it back to Germany safely and goes back to medical school Monday. A brief encounter, now a memory, but a pleasant long lasting memory at that. I just wish I had the right words to describe the adventure that we mutually shared, but I do not. She knows for sure, and that's what matters most.

More tomorrow.

Ed


Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: