Note well...




Day 69 (21), Sunday, October 16, Whitehorse

As those who looked at the UPS tracking web site saw, nothing has changed on the movement of the truck with my engine on it. It is still broken down, presumably the trailer with my engine still on the highway, for almost three days.. UPS, the shipper , can tell me nothing more than what's on their tracking web site. Even Canada Cartage, whose truck it is, knows nothing.  They don't even know where the truck is (my estimate says just south of Butte Montana, 592 miles from Seattle Washington) or the route it was taking. I thought all these trucks had GPS tracking devices.

This means that if I want to get on the road in the Defender, I would not be able to leave for at least  another two weeks, right in the Yukon winter, although by all my indications, winter is here already. It snowed last night again. Photo later.  On the day I ordered the engine, all information I had told me that  I could expect to be on the road in the Defender yesterday, but I knew that was optimistic, so I added a week.  Silly me.

Here is the link to the UPS tracking number.

I have some thinking to do today.  So much for Plan A.  So much for relying on UPS.

When I talked to the reps at UPS, they all suggested that planning these deliverioes to the Yukon is problematic, as if it was on another planet. But I had a package shipped from DC by plain old USPS first class service to my brief travel companion Stefanie to a rural area in northern Germany at the same time as my engine shipped and it arrived precisely in the eight days they estimated. And how long did it take the Apollo astronauts to reach the moon, five days?



Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: