Note well...




Day 20, August 28

Sorry that I have blogged these last few days.  Time and Internet were scarce

Just a brief note as I get on the road today. I will write more later on today when I take a break or arrive at my destination tonight. In short...

We reached for Fushimi as hoped  on Friday evening at 5 PM exactly. We got the last campsite in the camp. It was pretty pleasant, and not only because we got the last site but because it was at the end of the camp, as there were as many dogs as there were people and babies. Oh, speaking of babies,  while Donner   loves babies himself, and was fascinated by one particular baby named Ella, it seems that babies do not respect the campground rules and one in particular cried late into the night and early into the morning for almost 2 hours sleep, causing me to lose sleep and get off to a late start on Saturday morning.  There out to be a rule....enough said.

Remind me to tell you about our unsuccessful trip to Fushimi in 2012.

Part way into the journey from Fushimi to Sleeping Giant  Provincial Park  near Thunder Bay, i came to the intersection of hiway 231, which I have been wondering about for years, so I slammed on the breaks, back up and took it. For years I have been wanting to take that route  and so I threw plans aside and took it.  And what a glorious road it was, all 150 empty miles of it without anything on it but winding road, rivers, lakes, single  train track crossings, impromptu rest stops at fantastic settings, etc. The best part of it was that it took me directly to Pukaskwa National Park, where we arrived at 4:30 and camped right next to the fantastic sites where i camped before with Leben and Erde twice

While setting up the camp, George, a traveler from Toronto, who travels with his cats, stopped by and we shared some road stories and tips.c

A special treat here was when Britta, an adventurous 28-year old from Cologne Germany, who is cycling across all of Canada alone, stopped by to pet Donner.  Well, she and Donner bonded so much, she moved her tent to my site and Donner abandoned me that night to sleep in her tent. How quickly they forget. At least he now has had his first sleep over.  By the way, I was not about to let him abandon me so fast. He slept with Britta tethered to a 15-foot leash that ended wrapped around my hand in my tent.  As for his stay at Pukaskwa! I never saw a dog take so many new smells so seriously as he did here.

Tonight we will stay at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, a favorite camp of mine.  Tomorrow, I will stop by the Fed Ex office in Thunder Bay to retrieve some packages I had sent to me there, and then move on th western Ontario, probably Aaron Provincial Park, but who knows.  We go where the road north leads us.

More to come later with some photos. Now, time to fire up the Defender, put on the sunglasses and Beets headphones, press start for Pete Seeger's This Land is Your Land, and get back on the road.

Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: