Note well...




Day 17' August 25, Esker lake Provincial Park, near Kirkland lake, Ontario, 2276 miles

This will have to be quick as I am writing it on the road to Fushimi Provincial Park way up north in Ontario.

Wonderful ride down from Chibogamou.  Emote road that twisted, curved on turned, when it wasn't going up and down hills, sometimes when it was. Passed lakes and rivers,and crossed over single tracks railroad crossings, which is my earliest memory.

Things turned down after about 150 miles.  Discovered a medical issue that I hope will go away.  Consulted with my doctors back home and she gave me her advice.  It if continues, it threatens to be a show stopper.  We'll see.

Had to drive through quaint Val D'Or, but Donner lucked out by getting three of the biggest hamburgers he and I ever saw. I had to feed him dinner as we drive knowing that time would be tight, but he didn't mind.   We shared the buns.  Later, at camp, expecting to be fed again, he had half my can of salmon too, as usual.  At least I know now he will eat the salmon when push comes to shove.

Poor planning on my part for the day, but it worked out. The drive was more than 500 miles, more than I have ever done in a day except in 2001 when the road leading to e Alaskan Hiway was closed  due to a train accident, and we had to take a detour. 

I was heading for the provincial park at Kirkland lake, but it was actually at Esker Lake.  Fortunately, I stopped 2 miles past the road to Esker Lake and corrected my course. We arrived in the came just as dark set in and it was not fun navigating a strange camp looking for a decent camp site in the dark.  We finally got to a site by 9:30 and had everything set up by 10:30.  We were camped in total isolation deep in the camp. The only wildlife were small frogs I made sure we're all out of the way before I parked the Defender and set up he tent.  Donner was rather unnerved on the walk in the dark on a new road. He is learning that there is more to is world than that backyard in Los Angeles where he spent his first four years. His universe is rapidly expanding, as is mine.  What a magnificent travel companion he is.

Speaking of Donner. His allergy-triggered skin infection is gone completely. When I left, his head and body were blanketed with hundreds of scabs, and I cannot find one on him now.  Before we left, he scratched himself at least a couple of times a day; he had not scratched himself once on this trip.  Says a lot about the fresh air up here.  He is adjusting beautifully to this trip and is finding all of the best positions to ride in, as did all my dogs before.  Instinct, I guess.  Dogs somehow find ways of getting out of the rain and sun, and also know how to make themselves most comfortable.  I just wish he would not use my iPad as a head-rest, or my day-cooler when I want to grab a snack.

Photo of Donner and me at rest stop in Matheson Ontario by Jason. After this, we're heading to Fushimi Provincial Park, 233 miles away. Remind me to tell about about our visit there in 2011.


Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: