Note well...




Day 14, Minday, August 22, Riviere du Loup,

Well, the Defender is up and running, better than it was before.  Shaun check out the rear left wheel noise and discovered that four of the five nuts were loose. To say that the wheel might have come off is an understatement.  The wheel would have come off or sustained serious damage if it had not been caught.  My instinct told me to ask him to check it out and my instinct was right.  The question is, how did four lug nuts happen to become loose?  While I am told that it is possible for one to come loose if it really was not tightened fully, no one I spoke with ever heard of FOUR becoming loose.  Hmm.  I wonder if someone back in my condo knows anything about this?

 I also asked Shaun to change the oil, 1000 miles before due, so I could go another 3000 miles without losing a half day to get the vehicle serviced again.  He also pointed out that my right front outer tie rod is problematic, so I ordered one to be shipped to Thunder Bay Ontario, where I will pick it up at the Fed Ex center there and have it installed  when I get the Defender serviced in Winnipeg.

Let me tell you something, folks.  If ever your vehicle breaks down anywhere within 300 miles of Riviere du Loup in any direction, you want to have it towed to LaHey Garage here, and ask for Shaun, although his associate is just as good.  What a conscientious, capable, methodical, thinking mechanic he is.  And the owner, Keven, is the kind of proprietor of a garage you want if you ever are in need of a service on the road.  The below photo shows Shaun (left) and Keven.  I'll let you figure out which one Donner is.

I took the time today to do the laundry and replenish my dwindling food supply and, yes, I even bought a skillet for Donner's  special meals.

The Defender is all loaded but for the tent and bedding and tomorrow, we will take the 8am ferry to San Simeon on the other side of the St. Lawrence and from there head to colder Lac St Jean, and after that, even colder Chibagamou.  In addition to watching the Defender closely to regain my confidence in it, I will have to recharge all of my devices which are all down to almost no battery.

That's it for tonight.



Ed and Donner, from on the road

2 comments:

Sarita y Michael said...

Great!...back on the road....bon chance

Sarita y Michael said...

Hey...Hey....Hey....LaHey....thx for getting Ed goin' again. What good luck for him to find you.

Vous tenez toujours mes promesses. Plusiuers tentatives seront peut-etre necessaires mais cela vaut la peine de perseverer.