Note well...




Day 98, Monday, November 14, 12,500 miles, Yosemite

Day 98, Monday, November 14, 12,500 miles, Yosemite National Park, at last!

Up early in wonderful Samuel Taylor State Park.  Beautiful day. Breakfast on the patio with Sarah.  We said our goodbyes again. On the road to Yosemite by 8:30.  

Stocked up on dog food at a vet in Lagunitas, as well as a whole wheat muffin at the local cafe. I find it odd the i know where these places are, 3000 miles from home.  In fact, when Sarah and i were talking about this, i just happened to have a photo of the Comfort Bakery in Vermillion Bay, Ontario, her and my favorite bakery in that area, which is near her home when she is not on the road or in the air. 

The drive to Yosemite took 8 hours.  Not a pleasant drive until you hit the Yosemite area.  I can see why it took me so many years to get here. It really is a trek.  At one point, when i was focused on getting to a park to walk Donner, i missed the one small sign telling me that 120 turned left, and lost an hour backtracking to get back on course. Garmina was useless.

When i got to the Upper Pines campground, i decided to stay for two nights.  You don't wait for decades to get here and then fly through on an overnighter.  The good news is that route 120 eastbound is still open so i can save a whole day by cutting through that 54 mile road almost to the back door of my next hoped-for destination, Berlin-Icythyosaur State Park in the Nevada desert, which is connected to US 50 by way of a 50 mile dirt and gravel road.

As soon as we hit Yosemite Valley, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees.  But after my days in Whitehorse, it is still summer  by Whitehorse's definition.  

I discovered still another problem today.  My new jerry can for extra gas is leaking. While I do mind the lost gas, i am more concerned about its leaking on my canvas roof.  So much for quality workmanship these days.  How many problems is this so far with new things on this trip?

Our only plan for the day is to drive around Yosemite and take in the views, views that I have admired in photos since I was a kid.  How exciting it is to finally be in this awesome park at last, a place i never thought i would ever be able to visit, at least the way  i like to visit these places, in the Defender, with my dogs, and camping in a tent.  This extra day here gets us home on Thanksgiving Day, but this just gives me one more thing to be thankful for.  And how thrilled i am that i decided to travel down the west coast and take in Yosemite after all, instead of calling it quits after Seattle.

Sarah, if you are reading this, i am in site 133 in Upper Pines. Just pitch your tent anywhere, and please have dinner ready when we return at 4:00. :) And please bring oatmeal and that coffee in exchange for more duct tape.

Photos later today.






Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: