Note well...




Day 112, Monday, November 28, Salina

Day 112, Monday, November 28, Salina

Still no word from the auto transport company.  I called them to see what kind of progress they are making. They told me that the height of the Defender, that fact that it is not running, the DC destination, and the need for an enclosed trailer will probably delay the pickup. I can see that I may need to revise my plans.

I also wanted to confirm that they would allow me to leave my personal gear in the vehicle. The representative told me it was not in my record, but she added it. But she told me, only 250 pounds was allowed (I have at least 400), nothing could be in the front seats (my passenger "seat" - Donner's bed -  was loaded with stuff), and nothing could be above window level (my gear went up to the roof). So, i spent hours today today reorganizing my gear in the Defender, tossing things, adding to my stuff to take with me on the plane, and boxing up a lot of gear to send back by UPS or USPS. I had a feeling it would come to this. The arrangement in the Defender is still problematic, which means i might have to stay here until the Defender is gone after all. Frankly, i was planning to send the valuable stuff back separately anyway to make sure it gets there all in in one piece.

The game plan, once the Defender is picked up, is to drive to the La Quintas Inn at the Salt Lake Airport that afternoon or the next morning, and take the 9:45 a.m. delta flight the next day to DC. Five hours later, this journey will end. I think i am focused on this hoping it comes true.

Last night, I turned on a TV for the first time on this trip to see if there were any good movies on. I found two - The Wizard of Oz and The Shawshank Redemption. I watched the last half of the latter, but noted the relevance of both to my current predicament.

I ran out of my medication last week and so had to get it filled today at a local pharmacy. I also picked up some medication to deal with Donner's gastro issue but by afternoon it was solved. At least one less problem to worry about.

Snowing again today.  Temperature below freezing. Haven't I been down this road before in the Yukon?  I thought I took the more southern route to get into the warm weather fast. 









Ed and Donner, from on the road

1 comment:

burtonbostwick said...

Hangeth in there, Eduardo. I'm sure you'll be home for Christmas, or at least that's what the song says. You've certainly earned a PhD in ingenuity and patience on this trip. And did I say I'm glad I didn't join you?? At least you've had good company (Donner and others) along the way.