Note well...




Day 109, Friday, November 25, Salina

Day 109, Friday, November 25, Salina

Since i had not heard from Andy (the mechanic) about whether he got the Defender running with the replacement distributor, I called Montway (the auto transporter)  to tell them to change the condition of the Defender  to "not running", which increases the cost somewhat. I also discussed the issue of the roof rack with the agent and she that told, contrary to what the original agent told me, that it should not be a problem, as many drivers want to accommodate things like this.  I also changed my order from an open to enclosed shipment, which increases the cost still further, but the roof rack should no longer be an issue (precluding the need for me to buy a new one) and giving the Defender more security and safety for the 2100 mile ride to DC. Montway will get back to me with a pick-up date of one to five business days, starting tomorrow.   I have to stay here until the Defender is on its way, and hope to leave the very next morning.

I then called Andy early this morning to see if he was able to get the Defender running with a replacement distributor, but he had no luck. I told him that i was indifferent about it now because i intend to ship the Defender home regardless if it is running. I asked him to let me know when he can pull the Defender down to the motel so i can load all of the gear inside in case the auto transporter comes timorrow. He said he would come down and drive me back to his place, square up the bill, and then pull the Defender back down to the motel. As of 5:30, i have not heard from him, so i hope the transporter does not show up tomorrow.

Once i get a date from the auto-transport company, i will make my airline reservations for Donner and me. Unfortunately, Delta, the only non-stop flight that takes pets to DC from Salt Lake City, charges $900 for Donner (only $667 for me). But I have no choice since the $200 pet fee American Airlines charges involves a long layover and change of planes and i am not going to subject Donner to that. Hechas been through too much already.

The big issue with Donner involves the size of the crate he goes in.  He really needs a carrier that is 30.5 inches high so the tips of erect ears do not touch the top, but  the height sizes available are 30" and then 49". The former schoolmarm staffing the Delta Cargo desk warned me that if i showed up with the 30" carrier they would refuse to take Donner, even if it meant my having to drive home 2500 miles.  I will show up with the 30 inch model since the 49 inch model is way to big for me to carry and walk with Donner and my luggage too, and not needed. If i have to drive back because of this, so be it.

Donner also needs a current health certificate in order to travel and so we have an appointment with a vet 18 miles away on Monday for that.

I am still undecided how i will get to the airport, 100 miles away. One option is to rent a car and drive to the airport myself; another is to take the gracious manager of the motel, Mi Tai, up on her offer to drive me there. One thing that may affect my decision is the weather - snow is expected from here to Salt Lake City every day next week but Wednesday, precisely what i was hoping to avoid.

Several times on this journey i have laid out specific plans,optimistic plans, to move on from one incident or another, and several times my optimism was defeated because I refused to compromise on the few things that are important to me. Although it is unsettling to hear Christmas carols playing on the street, see holiday decorations all over, and see the temperatures drop below freezing and snow on the ground, when i was planning on being home a month ago, i will not budge from my simple aims of getting Donner and myself home safely and the Defender back to DC where whatever problem has seized it is cured, instead of my abandoning it here in a distress move, as most people would do, I'm afraid. Fortunately, my hosts in the hotel have been extremely gracious and hospitable.

As i wrote before, I have to focus on the specific challenges here and then, when i have done all i can to move them forward, focus on something entirely different. The problem is, in a strange location where you know no one and have no way of getting around and you are not in your own home, there are not too many other things to focus on. Fortunately, i have Donner, and that fills in a big gap.





Ed and Donner, from on the road

No comments: