Note well...




Day 13, Sunday, August 21, pm, RDL

Donner and I ventured off into the RDL wilds today on our hunt for some grub down at the local canteen. While there, we chatted amicably for a while with two charming young ladies from Québec City, Veronique and Rosalie, who I am sure were more charmed by Donner then by my recitation of all of my road trips. If they read this and will send me their address, I will send them their well deserved patches for this trip or what was supposed to be this trip.

Fortunately, the canteen had not run out of hamburgers yet and you'll see in the photo the sum and substance of Dinner's dinner, four large hamburgers stacked high. No kibbles for this dog, he is saying. He did not get to eat them until back to camp where I mixed it with some rice. His meal, now a daily thing, cost $24, whereas mine, a vegan salad shown in another photo, cost five. You can see where my priorities are on this trip.

When I returned to the camp to make dinner, I discovered that my fork was missing. Most people wouldn't notice that a fork was missing until they had fewer forks than there were people living regularly in their homes. While I swear that I never lost fork in my life, I now bet when I get home and take an inventory I'll probably have fewer forks than the 12 that were with the set when I bought it many years ago. I just don't know it because I have not reached the tipping point yet.  In any event, I searched everywhere for that fork and cannot find it and there are not a lot of places to check. The options are: that chipmunk took it, I accidentally tossed it out the trash, or some person in need of a cheap fork  just happened to wander into my campsite when I was gone and removed it. Regardless, I have three extra forks in my supply container on the top of my roof rack which I will retrieve tomorrow. And it should be obvious that I'm really not interested in the lost fork as much as I am the fact that I have now lost a fork, the charging cradle for Donner's radio collar,  a solar recharging device, and the camera, when on all my prior seven trips I can only remember losing a pewter wine glass and a spoon. I just hope that the missing things stay with these things and do not move on to such things as my passport, or even Donner. But, as you probably noticed, I am prepared if he goes lost, except for the radio collar, which will be useless after the charge runs out. 

I spent some time today refining my options for my next decision point Tuesday morning. I am running low on battery support so instead of describing it, I'll attach a photo of the sketch I made of it.  Do not mistake it for the wiring diagram of the Defender.


Ed and Donner, from on the road

My decision tree for Tuesday and beyond.

Donner hoping this $24 meal is for him


Donner, back at the camp, hard at work on his meal. He left six grains of rice and ate six of the buns. I got two buns, but passed up on the six grains of rice.My five dollar nature salad. I did add a quarter of a small can of tuna fish. Donner, after snubbing his tuna and rice meal last week, had the rest of the can as a final course for his meal.


My five dollar vegan salad

Ed and Donner, from on the road
www.OnTheRoad.camp

P.S. It took me one hour and 20% battery to send this. Sometimes, Canadian coms  lets me send four images, sometimes one. From now on, I will send one in any one message and link the rest to my annex. Sorry about that. 

No comments: