Note well...




Denali Park Road Lottery - Request for favor

Dear Friends,

 

As I might have mentioned, I am planning another long road trip this summer, including to Alaska.  Before I leave, I’d like to try win a permit to drive the spectacular 85-mile dirt and gravel Denali Park Road after the park closes in September.  Each year, for a few days after the park closes, 400 vehicles a day are permitted to drive that road.  To win a permit, you have to enter a lottery, which ends May 31st.  More than 16,000 people are expected to enter the lottery this year, competing for 1600 permits.  You can only apply once for the lottery. To increase my chances of getting a permit, I am trying to enlist 15 friends, you among them, to enter the lottery with me. (My guess is that more than half the entries are others doing this.) You can enter it on-line or by phone in less than five minutes.  To enter it, you will have to pay a $10 lottery fee, and, if you are lucky enough to win a permit, another $25.  I, of course, will reimburse you for both fees.  If you win a permit, you would assign it to me, which is entirely permissible. This is how I got my permit back in 2013 when Leben, Erde and I drove the road.  (See below photo taken by an Alaskan photographer who was behind me as my Defender passed Denali on that trip.)

 

If you can do this for me sometime over the next week, I would appreciate it.  If that is the case, I will send you the details on how to apply online or by phone tomorrow. In the meantime, if you wish to read a little more about the lottery, click here.

 

Please let me know if this is something you wouldn’t mind doing for me.

 

You can read about the planning for my trip (2016 - OTR8) and the trip itself once it starts on my trip blog at www.OnTheRoad.camp.

 

For those who do not know or remember, my first trip in 2000 (12,500 miles, 42 days) to Alaska was the featured piece in the cover stories of two National Geographics. You can find links to those pieces here.

 

Thanks.

 

ED

 

No comments: