Note well...




FW: Denali lottery DETAILS How to Apply

Thanks for agreeing in advance to apply for the Denali Road Permit lottery with me.  You are the first to get this message.  Please let me know if you see any errors in it or have trouble applying.

 

ED

 

Friends and Gamblers,

 

Thanks for agreeing to enter the Denali Road Permit lottery with me or, if you have not yet agreed, thanks in advance for agreeing. Click here for my earlier message. This message explains how to apply.  You will need only your credit card information for the $10 fee and, if you have one, your password to www.recreation.gov (if you do not have an account and password, don’t worry.)

 

There are two ways to apply, online anytime (see below) or by phone (877-444-6777 between 10:00 a.m. and midnight EST).  In either case, use you own name when/if you are be asked for the name of the “group leader.”

 

For those of you who are good at zipping through things like this, whichever way you apply, online (click here)  or phone, using your own name, you want to apply for the Denali Road Permit lottery, Day Use Permit, for four dates in the following order: September 16, September 18, September 19, and September 20.  (The 17th is reserved for active military personnel.) After you apply and get your confirmation by email, forward it to me and I will send you the $10 by mail.  You will find out by email if you won on or about June 18th. (I will be looking at the winners list online myself and will also tell you if you won.) If you win, I will be in touch with added instructions on how to assign the permit to me.

 

APPLYING ONLINE.

 

1. Click here on this link for Denali National Park Road Lottery and then click on the orange APPLY NOW button.

 

2. You will be taken to a screen for you to sign into your www.recreation.gov account, if you have one, or apply as a new customer. The following screen will ask you for details to set up your account on www.recreation.gov.

 

3. After you sign in or create an account to sign in, you will be taken to the LOTTERY APPLICATION screen for Denali National Park – Road Application that looks like this (click here) with your name shown as the Group Leader where the red line is. Under Lottery Preference choose or enter the following (click on the “Add Alternate Choice” link twice to add two more alternate choices):

Facility: DENALI NATIONAL PARK ROAD LOTTERY

Entrance: D1 Denali Road Entry

Permit Type:  Day Use Permit

Preferred Choice: FRI, September 16, 2016

Alternate Choice 1: SUN, September 18, 2016

Alternate Choice 2: MON, September 19, 2016

Alternate Choice 3: TUE, September 20, 2016

 

Click here to see what your completed screen should look like with your name as the Group Leader (and not mine).

 

4. Enter your payment information for the $10 fee, go to the bottom and click YES and then click CONTINUE TO SHOPPING CART and complete your purchase. You will then get an ALL COMPLETED screen and an email with the same information.

 

5. Forward the email you get to me at my email address and you will get your $10.00 in the mail from me.  

 

6. Winners will be selected on or about June 18th. You will get an email as soon as the winners are announced, whether you win or not.  I will also be looking at the winners’ web site and tell you if you won. If you did win, I will explain to you how to assign the winning permit to me and send you the $25 fee you will be charged on your credit.

 

Thanks so much for doing this. If “I” win a permit, anyone who wishes to fly to Anchorage, take a train to Denali, and have me pick them up for the 170-mile excursion of a lifetime, feel free to join me.  (Donner and I can accommodate one extra person in my Defender comfortably and 15 more uncomfortably, some very uncomfortably on the roof rack, side runners, and rear bumper.) You can stay either in a luxury hotel at the entrance of the park or camp out in one of my three tents at the Teklanika camp site 35 miles into the park, which I have reserved from the 15th to the 20th.  If you opt for the latter, I should tell you that two years ago, five days earlier, the temperature outside my tent was 13 degrees at night, slightly warmer inside the tent. Oh, some years the drive has to be cancelled when they have snow, sometimes three feet or more, but no need to worry because I take enough emergency food to last me 14 days.

 

ED

 

 

 

 

No comments: